This is a really lovely tasty dish. I usually have the pot boiling & cook the gnocchi at the same time as I am making the sauce. If you cook the gnocchi too early & let it sit, it will go a bit hard, so try to have both parts of this dish going at the same time. If you read my recipe for Cheesy Sweet Potato Wedges, you may remember I said that I used the lid of a casserole dish. Well, this is the base that belongs to that lid. This is a Tupperware product, quite pricey, but it is versatile, in that I can use either the top or base individually. Its original use is as a roasting pan/casserole dish.
Half way through making this, I realised I didn’t have any white wine (to add to the cooking, of course!). I was too lazy to drive to the shops, so I substituted half a cup of chicken stock instead. The Perfect Italiano Perfect Bakes is actually a grated blend of several different types of cheese. It does give this dish a nice flavour, but if you have some grated mozzarella in your fridge, you could just as easily use that. For a vegetarian version, simply omit the bacon.
Even my long suffering, try this new recipe no matter what, husband quite liked this one! I even got a compliment!
BAKED GNOCCHI BOSCAIOLA
500g pkt of fresh gnocchi
3 tspns olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
200g short cut bacon, coarsely chopped
300g sliced mushrooms
1 crushed garlic clove
½ cup white wine
250ml cooking cream
120g sour cream
50g chopped baby kale mix
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs made from day old bread
1 cup Perfect Italiano Perfect Bakes cheese
2 tblspns finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Grease a baking dish.
- Cook gnocchi according to packet directions. Drain well.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion & bacon until soft.
- Add mushrooms & garlic & cook for 5 minutes.
- Add wine & cook for 3 minutes or until liquid has almost evaporated.
- Stir in both creams & simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Stir in the kale & gnocchi. Spoon into greased baking dish.
- Combine breadcrumbs, cheese & parsley in a small bow. Sprinkle evenly over gnocchi mixture.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown & heated through.