My son follows the Paleo way of eating so it’s been a great cooking journey for me to try and find suitable recipes for him to enjoy. I’ve found some absolute treasures and this is one particular cake that I really like.
3/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice, strained
1 tblspn finely grated orange rind
100ml light olive oil
150g coconut sugar
2 eggs, lightly whisked
160g buckwheat flour
40g coconut flour
2 tblspns almond meal
1 tsp gluten free baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tblspns 70% or higher dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup cacao, sifted
Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease or line with baking paper a 9.5 x 19.5cm loaf pan.
- Place the milk, juice, orange rind, oil & sugar in a small saucepan Stir over low heat for 4 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Transfer to a bowl & cool for 6 minutes.
- Add eggs to mixture & stir to combine. Reserve 1/4 cup buckwheat flour. Add remaining buckwheat flour to mixture & combine. Add coconut flour, almond meal, baking powder & bicarb. Stir until smooth.
- Halve mixture & place in another bowl. Stir cacao into one bowl. Stir reserved buckwheat flour & chocolate into the other bowl.
- Spoon the batters alternately at random into prepared loaf pan. Swirl with a butter knife.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle. Cool in pan for 10 minutes & then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.