There are heaps of versions of this puff pastry recipe and I must admit, I’ve been really keen to try this out. I chose to try this leek & cheese one. In place of leeks, you could use lightly sautéed sliced mushrooms, drained semi sun dried tomatoes, blanched asparagus or sliced and pitted kalamata olives for a vegetarian tart. You could also use lightly fried bacon or ham plus a mixture of a couple of different toppings or just about anything you would like to use. The topping choices are just about endless!
I must say if I did choose to use leeks again, I would dice them. This recipe called for the leek to be cut in long strips. I did this, as you can see in the photo. However, even though this tart sliced up nicely, I found the leek to be a bit chewy and stringy. I think if the leek was roughly diced, the texture would be a lot different, as it would bake a lot quicker and become much more tender. I guess you could give the leeks a quick microwave to make them more This is a very nice tart, but I would just do the filling differently.
1 1/2 sheets of thawed frozen puff pastry
1 leek, white section only
1 cup grated tasty cheese
2 teaspoons chopped thyme
2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan forced.
- Line base only of a 30cm x 20cm slice pan with baking paper. Line prepared pan with pastry sheets, overlapping and pressing any joins firmly to seal. Trim edges. Cover with pastry base with baking paper & fill with rice, dried beans or pie weights.
- Place on an oven tray & bake for 15 minutes. Remove weights & baking paper & bake for a further 5 minutes or until pastry case is lightly golden.
- Remove pastry from oven & cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 160 degrees fan forced.
- Cut leek lengthwise into thick strips & rinse under cold water. (I prefer to roughly dice leek.)
- Sprinkle base of pastry with cheese & thyme. Arrange leek over cheese mixture. (Only use enough leek to make one layer in pastry case.)
- Whisk eggs & milk in a jug & pour over leeks. Gently press down leek strips so they are covered in egg mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until filling is set in centre. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Delicious served with a tossed green salad.