When I first saw this recipe and its use of frozen peas, I was a bit dubious as to how it would turn out. I shouldn’t have been concerned, as this is a really nice tasting recipe. For a vegetarian version, simply use vegetable stock and omit the prawns.
20g butter, chopped
2 cloves of crushed garlic
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup water
2 1/2 cups frozen peas
1 cup risoni pasta
2 tblspns extra virgin olive oil
12 shelled & deveined large raw prawns
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1 fresh long red chilli reseeded & finely chopped
- Heat butter in a small saucepan. Once foaming, cook one clove of garlic until golden. Add stock & water & bring to boil. Reduce heat, add peas & cook covered for 3 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat & scoop out & reserve 1/2 cup of peas.
- Boil a saucepan of water, add risoni, cook until almost tender & then drain.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Cook prawns with remaining garlic clove and chilli until prawns turn pink or until just cooked through.
- Use a stick blender or small food processor and coarsely purée pea and stock mixture. Season to taste.
- Add puree mixture, reserved peas, parsley and risoni to prawns. Stir to combine. Cook until heated through.