This is a great recipe that can be prepared in advance and then left to simmer on the stove top until the chicken is so tender that the meat falls off the bones. The meld of exotic ingredients, makes this a truly flavoursome dish. The use of cinnamon sticks and citrus peel gives the chicken a really unique flavour. This dish can be enjoyed as is, or served with hot fluffy stove top rice.
1.8kg chicken pieces or Maryland pieces jointed
2 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
4 whole star anise
4 strips orange or mandarin peel
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
5cm piece fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks
Steamed Asian Greens:
Pak Choy, Chinese broccoli or greens of choice
- Place the chicken pieces into a large stockpot & pour in the chicken stock.
- Add rest of ingredients & bring to boil over high heat. Stir occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low & cook for 1 to 1 and a half hours or until chicken is very tender.
- Asian greens: Cook greens in a steamer or flash stir fry in hot sesame oil. Mix in a generous splash of oyster sauce.
- Serve chicken on a bed of greens & ladle some of the liquid from the stockpot over the plated dish. Serve with rice on the side.